There are over 26 million people in the country who are affected by asthma. There are several ways by which you can manage the symptoms of asthma but you cannot completely prevent its development. Following are some of the methods that can help you to prevent asthma symptoms.
- You should try to not completely rely on your quick-relief inhaler because it indicates that you are not in control of your asthma.
- You should get all the shots required. For example, you should get the shots for pneumonia and flu as these can help decrease the asthma symptoms.
- You need to know how to identify when you are about to get an asthma attack. You can get a meter to help you determine that so that you are in control and ensure that it doesn’t flare up.
- You should never change the dosage of the asthma medication that has been prescribed by your doctor. It must not be changed even if your asthma attacks have decreased.
- You can try to treat asthma attacks before they get worse by monitoring your rate of breathing. This will help ensure that you don’t get a severe asthma attack which requires immediate medical attention.
- You need to determine your asthma triggers. You can work with your doctor to help determine the triggers and avoid them as much as possible.
- You should speak to your doctor in advance about the techniques you can use to cope and deal with severe asthma attacks.
Treatment options for asthma
You can consult your doctor about breathing exercises that can be helpful to your condition. Breathing exercises can help to increase your lung capacity which can help reduce and manage the symptoms of asthma. In this way, you will be able to breathe better.
Another form of treatment used when you get an asthma attack are quick-relief treatment options. Bronchodilators are medications that help your lung muscles to relax. Rescue inhalers contain bronchodilators which provide relief from asthma attacks by expanding the lung’s airways and enabling easy breathing. You may also be prescribed anti-inflammatories which can help improve breathing by reducing swelling and mucus formation in your lungs’ airways.
There are long-term medications for asthma patients. These types of medications are supposed to be taken on a daily basis. They help to prevent the onslaught of symptoms of asthma. These include inhalers and nebulizers which are supposed to be used on a daily basis. You should speak to your doctor and get routine checkups to ensure that you are taking the right dosage of the medications.
You must consult a doctor when you experience shortness of breath, even when you’re not doing any physical activity. If you are using an inhaler such as Albuterol but you are still not feeling better, then you should seek emergency care right away. Asthma attacks can be severe and can be life-threatening which is why you should always work closely with your doctor.